Sunday, September 5, 2010

Secrets from a Stylist - Decorating with Friends - The Kitchen

Click on images to enlarge
(This is a before Shot)
Recently I had a bit of a design emergency. I was asked to submit some photos of my home to be considered for publication, for a site known for it's hip and trendy urban style. A bit of a challenge to say the least for someone that lives in the country, and loves all things old. I decided to call in some expert help for this one. Lucky for me I have the most talented and sweetest friends on the planet! With in a matter of days, my friend Amy (former stylist for Country Home magazine) and my friend Lisa (Official blogger for the Old Lucketts Store) pulled up to my house with a van load of accessories, in order to help me pull my house together! We are all dealers together at The Lucketts Store, and we work well together, not to mention we have loads of accessories and home furnishings to choose from!

This photo and the one above are the before shots, of my kitchen. Nothing wrong with it really, but it was just lacking that certain something.


No this is not the after!! This is my husbands library, we used it as a staging room for all of the accessories that we unloaded from the Van. Shhhh don't tell my husband!


Here are the girls in action. Amy's in front and Lisa is in the back. Not the best photo, I need to work on my people photography skills. Sorry girls!


TADA!! Here's the finished room, just like magic!!! I love every bit of it!


Lisa put this burlap coffee pillow on the little metal stool, so cute!!


These gorgeous ruffled slip covers just make the room and I love the texture of the wicker basket too.

Amy's all about fresh, living things. So I picked up loads of flowers for her to play with and some leafy green vegis too. She artfully displayed them all, I wish they could stay like that forever!



The big Ironstone Tureen was in my dining room and Amy moved it to the kitchen table.


The Ironstone pitchers were mine too, from other rooms in my home. I love that Amy used things that I had already to create this look.


I stuck this glass eye chart thing here. It's from Ikea and is actually a light fixture, but I like it better as art.

In the end it was too far of a stretch, and my home won't be appearing in the publication, but I have no complaints. I'm thrilled with the results and I love my home to pieces!! I'll be sharing more rooms with you at a later date. Thank you Amy & Lisa!!! You guys are the best!

I'm linking this one up to:

Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch

32 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I once had a vision in a dream that showed harlequin design that went up the back of the powder room door, across the ceiling and down the wall behind the commode. After spending 5 hours taping off the back of the door, I amended the vision. I am absolutely delighted with the outcome to which I refer as 'Paris' where we stop by instead of a toilet!
    Thanks for sharing your decorating bonanza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 5 hours of taping!! Yikes! It sounds like an awesome project though and I love the name you gave it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the makeover - it's fantastic! Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chair covers are awsome, I want them! Don't I wish I had such talented and helpful friends.....you ladies did a beautiful job rearranging many things you already owned, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! Are you going to keep all that stuff now, because it looks great?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all of your sweet comments!
    Diana, Yes, I got the "girlfriends discount" and purchased many of the pieces that we used!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it all Karen! The ruffle slipcovers are simply gorgeous and so is the pillow, along with all of the special little touches around the room. It's beautiful! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous accessories and touches you added to your room!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it ! It all looks fabulous, especially those ruffled chair covers !

    I'm a huge fan of a black and white checked floor too - classic !
    thanks for sharing,
    gena
    www.thehouseonlavenderhill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing how this all came together~ beautiful, and so graphic with great textures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful makeover.. I love the idea of using whatever is the home and enhance the beauty .. sometimes if you change the place of some accessories they become a centerpiece and make the surrounding so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love it! It looks like your kitchen belongs in a magazine :)

    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a whirlwind day! But I have to say, even without all the additions, I love your kitchen! The white cabinets, the black counters, the pot rack and the checkered floor. Che bella! And a great backdrop for apothecary jars!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes you just need a fresh pair of eyes to see the potential beauty of a space. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen, beautiful before and after shots your your kitchen. We had our kitchen remodeled five years ago very similar to yours and I still love it every time I walk into it. We also had some beadboard installed along the sides of the cabinets and some of the upper cabinets have glass in them for display. Thanks for the pics, jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that you used a lot of things you already had. It looks so lovely.

    P.S. I love your floor ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my goodness! First, congratulations for your kitchen to be photographed! It's gorgeous!! I thought the before was it and then you said - wait! :) How lovely and it's so big. How wonderful to have such great friend to lend a hand!
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the transformation! The ruffled slip covers are fantastic. I visted Lucketts last Spring for the antique market. What a wonderful shop and such gorgeous things.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fun to have your kitchen professionally styled and photo'd. Hope you took a good one that can be blown up for the wall.

    Please stop by if you have time. We'll have a great teen bedroom giveaway starting Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's always more fun to work with a friend! My eye was immediately drawn to the beautiful ironstone tureen. Layering it with the silver tray is a great idea! Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not trying to be mean, but if the re-done kitchen photos weren't accepted for publication, the reason was probably right there in your second sentence: "....to be considered for publication, for a site known for it's hip and trendy urban style." Your before kitchen seemed a much more "hip and trendy urban style". Don't misunderstand, the after kitchen looks very homey and comfortable, but it no longer has that hip and trendy look. The after photo would probably be gobbled up by a publication featuring county/cottage rooms. Of course, that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Mellodee,
    Yes, I understand your point. But, the fact is the publication invited me to apply, I did not seek them out. They invited me because of my main blog "The Graphics Fairy" which is known for it's vintage style. My girlfriends helped me to accentuate my personal style, which is vintage. It would not have been worth it to me to do a modern environment, that would not have been my style, and then I would have had to live with it, just for the sake of getting into that publication. I would certainly love to be published in a more traditional or country style publication, and I do plan on sending some photos in to several to be considered. Either way I'm happy with the way my home turned out and I'm grateful to my friends for helping me. And I'm also grateful for being invited to submit the photos to the publication, as it was hugely flattering that they would even have heard of me in the first place. I hope all that makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What talented friends you have - it looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely room both before and after :) Just curious... What happened to the chair covers (at the table)that were toile? Were they re-purposed? I must say I just loved them and thought they would still fit into your new design. But then - I have a toile fetish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Irishella,
    I still have the covers and they are actually back on the chairs now. We thought it was best to go with plain white for the photo though.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your kitchen!!! It looks so beautiful!!! Wow!! Fantastic!
    Hugs,
    Cindy
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  28. Like your blog! Our kitchen floor is tile with black grout. We did it and are just beginners in small home re-do-s. Our blog has a funny true story about remodeling written by my husband; Always An Adventure is the name of our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  29. May I ask where you got the ruffled slip covers? Were they made? So, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Suzanne, Amy sells the slip covers in her space at Lucketts Store in Virginia, but she only sells them with vintage chairs. The slip covers are pricey so, she feels like if she sells them with a chair, it's a better deal for the customer and they get more value that way. We don't do any mail order at Lucketts, all sales are done through the shop.

    ReplyDelete